morst blog home
expressobeans art guide

Good news everyone!"On 11/8/05, jonathan segel wro...
PUMPKIN POWER POTENTIAL!As we peruse through the p...
Links of the day:The RIAA must be stoppedThey Rule...
Happy Halloween!!POWER TO THE PUMPKINPUMPKIN FOR T...
hey, there's a photo of me online at Heff's sitese...
It's been almost a year and I still have not beste...
Cracker and Camper Van Beethoven (my new favorite ...
I got the Viola Lee Blues.R.I.P. JG August 1 1941-...
Frolf is fun. Last week, on July 20th, I finally b...
Ten Years AfterJuly 9, 1995 was the end of an era ...

MIND 4 ARCHIVES:


This site by:
Boeger Web - Boeger Communications Web Design

morstblog- this blog is by MORST

the acffh morST cyber-blog is here now.


WHY I AM NOT A PYRO ANYMORE
21 years ago today, Buffalo John (Weiksnar?) and Jason Graziano's room on 4-South in Porter College's B-dorm was destroyed by fire! Weird eh? It was the Saturday afternoon before thanksgiving if I do recall.

To preface the story of how it happened, (short story, accidental arson) you need to know that Jason was hanging out with Kim from across the hall. Jason "pennied" her into her room by wedging coins inbetween the door and the frame so she could not get out. When she finally did, she took a boxfull of shredded paper which had padded her typewriter on its way to school that year, and she dumped the paper all over Jason, his record collection, and his bed.

So after lunch on saturday, my buddy Kenny Blumenfeld (get in touch KB!) hollers down the hall to me from Jason's room "HEY TOM- YOU GOTTA COME AND SEE THIS! THESE GUYS ARE CRAZY!" When I walked into the room, there was shredded paper everywhere, and the middle of it was on fire. I said "You guys are gonna set off the smoke. . ." and as I said the word "alarm" the klaxon sounded loudly 4 times and did not stop its repeating pattern (1,2,3,4,rest,rest) until much later.

Evidently, Jason (and Joel?) had thought it uproariously funny to light some of the paper on fire, and stomp it out, but then the flames got out of control and well. . .

Their room burned up so completely, that the only things left were two melted bedframes and Buffalo John's bicycle frame, for which he had just gone to go buy an innertube or something and came home to a smoldering wreck of all his personal possessions. I went to my room and got Chuck, my pet parakeet, who was totally finger-trained at this point, even though I had only had him for a little over a month. I left Chuck's cage and took off to Kenny's room to chill out before we had to leave the building. Unfortunately, as I left my room, I failed to close the door or window, so almost all the smoke from the burning room came down the hall and our room was effectively used as the chimney, destroying everything above 4' high where the heat line was.

As a result of this, I am no longer a pyro. That was pretty much the last straw. . . I don't really even use candles at home now.

In other news I recently got in touch with Dave Chako, Kevin Whalen and Andrew Thurber, some of my old UCSC pals. HI GUYS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home