morst blog home
expressobeans art guide

Cramper Crampout blog part 3Pioneertown CA Friday ...
Bugs Salcido is my friend! What a great guy he is....
I'M NOT LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE!I returned last night ...
Just in time for the end of summer, I present my M...
Woohoo!! I got an eagle today! Yep, Hole-In-One on...
INTEL MAC IS CRAP.I think I hate this new mac. It'...
MONKS OF DOOM!!This looks like a winner: go check ...
FRUSTRATED!I am very frustrated/pissed off at my n...
CENSURE BUSH! THEN IMPEACH CHENEY! THEN IMPEACH BU...
WHY ITUNES IS A PIECE OF CRAP:1- It stalls on play...

MIND 4 ARCHIVES:


This site by:
Boeger Web - Boeger Communications Web Design

morstblog- this blog is by MORST

the acffh morST cyber-blog is here now.


Pitown Crampout pt 4 - Saturday day - Sept 9, 2006


Yeah, I was a little tired on Saturday, but it was well-deserved. After the extravaganza of Porchstock IIa aka Bugsstock I, I finally got to sleep a little after 7am. I was not quite the last man standing, I think that dubious honor went to Tom "TH" Harvey. He and I hung out past sunrise sipping PBR on the porch of a fake doctor's office on Pioneertown's Mane Street. We were sitting on some stuffed leather high-backed chairs, just yakkin' up a storm like two old-timers in a cowboy movie. I realized after a while that the sun was getting pretty bright, and I was still wearing my clear glasses, not my shades, and I began to yawn, so I decided to call it a "night." He and I walked back to the Pitown Motel, and were still shooting the breeze outside near the picnic table outside my room when the door to room #18 popped open, and David's mate Velena asked if we could be quiet- David was trying to get some shut-eye. (on Saturday, Joey ceded her room to the band, so our new neighbors were the stars of the show!) Oops. I apologized, Tom took off, and I retired to my room to crash out.


I woke up at 9am, after sleeping about 2 hours, but did not really get out of bed for a while. Eventually, I did rise in order to check out the photos I took at Porchstock with MTP's tiny camera- we loaded them into his laptop and browsed them as a slideshow with a few sets of guests who stopped in to see. I'm a little foggy on exactly who, but I seem to recall Eric and Splinter, and of course my roomie MTP. Matt went off to join the other crumbs for breakfast, but I figured it would be an egg-fest. I'm a vegaquarium- like a vegan if you consider fish a vegetable! During the festive crumb breakfast (I heard it was really fun, and good food too) I stayed in the room, resting, then got up for a while and prepared my recording gear for the day. I got batteries and blank DAT's counted so I'd have enough to make it through, loaded up the backpack, then I went through the friday tapes and made sure they were properly labeled so I would know what's what when I got 'em home. After prepping my taping bag, I lay back down and didn't sleep, but just rested until about 1pm. There was some confusion about the day's schedule- Matt said he thought the autograph session was at 2:30, but it did not actually start until after 4.

Around 3, Matt said he heard something that sounded like soundcheck, so I dashed off to set up my mics so I would not miss anything. It was somewhat of a false alarm, Casey was firing up the PA system with his iTunes and getting the stage ready for the solo sets from Jon, Greg and Victor, but there was nobody on the stage yet. I set up my mics in the same spot as the previous day, and roped 'em off with the yellow caution tape I salvaged from the taping section at Deer Creek 1994 during the Grateful Dead shows. On friday, my caution tape was flapping in the breeze somewhat, so on saturday I twisted it into a tube so it would not catch so much air. I can't actually hear the flapping on any of the friday tapes, but I wanted to minimize any unwanted sounds that I could for day 2.


Then it was back to the motel for some food and more socializing before the autograph session. Johnny and his wife Soraya were staying in room 19, and were hanging out most of the afternoon, just shooting the breeze with folks and getting ready for the autograph session. Their young son was running around with a Camelback, squirting water and having a blast, and Soraya was preparing Johnny's CD's and other swag for the merch table at the autograph session.


I think it was around this time when SteveĀ© decided to donate the painting of Johnny for a silent auction to raise funds for the local family whose house burned up in the desert fire, because Soraya was working on a cardboard sign asking for donations. I found out later that the crumbs raised over $500 for the cause. As much fun as the weekend was for everyone, it seemed like that was the real highlight of the event- a chance for people from far and wide to help out a local family who was really in need. I don't know what function the cockles of the heart perform, but I think everyones' were warmed up knowing that we could make a difference and lend a hand to help some locals when they were down.


The 4:30 autograph session was super-fun. Fans lined up at the merchandise-booth-side of a long table, and had a chance to purchase anything they wanted the bands to sign, then proceeded down the line, where the bandmembers were sitting, all in a row. I had already bought some low-numbered posters at the show the night before, but had them rolled up in a mailing tube that I shipped out in advance. At the merch booth on saturday, I asked if I could get the highest-numbered poster, number 90/90, and that's the one I got signed. They all seemed to be in a good mood for the meet-and-greet, and David was eating a gigantic burger but paused to sign my poster. Jon doodled some flames on the middle of it and an exclamation-balloon coming out of one of the camper's head.


Cracker CVB Pitown 06 Satis Factory poster
Before


Cracker CVB Pitown 06 Satis Factory poster
After


Satis Factory stamp on reverse of poster
artist's stamp on reverse


I'm gonna keep this installment of the blog a little shorter, and wrap up the Saturday music later. Stay tuned, campers and crumbs!!! ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home